Happy 2018 everyone!
I am excited to share my first recipe of the year, a delicious Asian inspired vegan salad, so easy to make and full of exotic flavors.
To my fellow Montrealers..I know! Even though it’s minus 20 here in Montreal, what do you want me to tell ya..I’m still in a tropical/exotic mode! I usually crave pasta or mashed potatoes when it’s cold like this but not this time, it must be the ripple effect of my recent trip, if you haven’t seen my latest vlog, you can view it on YouTube by clicking here.
This vegan salad makes a healthy and filling lunch or dinner and it’s very easy to make. First, let’s make “the pickled” red cabbage and carrots. You will need:
“Pickled” Red Cabbage & Carrots
- 1 cup of shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded carrots ( I buy them already shredded it)
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 garlic clove ( grated)
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
Mix the apple cider vinegar, water, garlic, salt, ginger, and sugar in a bowl, then gently add in the red cabbage and carrots and leave on the side.
Asian Inspired Vegan Salad – Serves 2
- 1.5 teaspoon of Miso paste
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of maple syrup
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 4 cups of green leaves of your choice
- 8 mint leaves
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 quarter of a pineapple, cut into slices or cubes
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of pickled red cabbage ( see above)
- 1 cup of picked shredded carrots ( see above)
- 1 pack of Soyganic Smoked Tofu with Sriracha – Click here to see an image of the product.
- Add all the ingredients for the dressing in a small food processor and mix until smooth and creamy
- Chop the mint leaves as small as possible and mix it with the rest of the green leaves to subtly enhance the freshness
- Peel the cucumbers and avocado and cut into sticks
- Cut the tofu into squares and lightly grill them on a pan
- Optional – lightly grill the pineapples in a pan
- Drain the red cabbage and carrots from their mixture
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients including the dressing and the pickled cabbage and carrots, mix well
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!
You can leave the ingredients deconstructed as shown in the image, in this case, serve the dressing on the side. You can also sesame seed to garnish.